Would you like to donate towards Arabian horse welfare?
Your donations to our Welfare fund are much appreciated. The AHS donates funds to many other Charities who in turn are helping our breed. We list many useful contacts who at some stage have all helped the breed and for that we are extremely grateful.
One of the charitable aims of the Society is the welfare of horses and ponies.
Mrs Ann Green is the Society Welfare Officer and can be contacted on 07803 128235.
Owning and caring for a horse can be a source of great enjoyment but is also a big responsibility with a long-term caring and financial commitment. The Animal Welfare Act 2006 requires you to ensure that any horse, pony, donkey or mule for which you are responsible, whether on a permanent or a temporary basis:
- has a suitable environment to live in;
- has a healthy diet;
- is able to behave normally;
- has appropriate company; and
- is protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.
This can be a useful arrangement if approached in a professional manner; here are a few simple guidelines to avoid potential problems:
- Personally visit the stables where you intend to send the horse, do not reply on a third party;
- Draw up an arrangement for both parties to sign (even if it your best friend!) to include;
- Purpose of loan - breeding, riding and any restrictions of use
- Insurance details
- Responsibility of costs e.g. vets, worming, farrier etc;
- Details of any payments
- length of contract and purpose
- Visiting rights
- Ask for references;
- Photograph your horse before it leaves as proof of its health and condition; and
- Any equipment should be well labelled and an inventory drawn up with copies to both parties.
BHS Sample loan agreement
Sending horses for Training/ Showing either Under Saddle or Inhand
Useful Contacts (click on the links below)
World Horse Welfare Organisation Telephone 08000 480 180
RSPCA Emergency line 0300 1234 999
National Foaling Bank Telephone 01952 811234 anytime